My Adventures in the Foreign Lands

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Recent Goings-on

So today was the first day I wore typical Indian dress. I actually felt more comfortable. I went to bed at 7:30 last night because I was exhausted from the day. Well, this morning I woke up at 5 again (let's hope this doesn't become a trend). It was still dark out. My bed is actually comfy. It is really only a cot with a big mattress on it and a sheet, but it isn't bad. Anyway, I woke up at 5, hung around and read until 6 then went out for a walk. I had the famous chai for the first time. It tastes more like tomatoes than any chai I know. The way these early-morning cooks make it is with a big pot of boiling milk. It involves some adding of spices and pouring from one pot to another in a long stream then back and forth from galss to pot until it goes back into the glass and into my hand. Even the small shops serve it in actual glass. Customers (meaning just about everyone up at that hour) stand around outside these open-air shops and sip the brown liquid, pay, then wander off. Anyway, I tried it and I liked it.
I stopped at a juice bar and got a pineapple smoothie and two almond-flavored angel food cakes. This was the first time I told anyone I am from Canada. The one person who spoke good English asked which country is mine, so I said Canada, hoping to avoid any sharp glances. It worked. After my breakfast, I walked back to the guest house and took a shower- I really needed it after that half hour outside. Later, I ate a very large brunch (wel, it was at 10:30 in the AM, so I consider it brunch). Now I am here (at the internet cafe, that is)! Hope all is well in the States!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home