My Adventures in the Foreign Lands

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

I am in the country!

Hi! What a relief it is to be in my hotel room in Mumbai, on the computer, and have all my luggage here with me. I was increadibly nervous that my checked stuff wouldn't come through and the clothes on my back would have to last me a long time. But, no! All is well with me in Mumbai. It is 5:49 in the morning and I slept a total of three hours last night. I slept on the the second plane ride from Italy (stretched out across the middle row of seats- thank goodness for an empty flight), so by the time I got to the room, it felt like the middle of the afternoon.
This hotel is really cool. It is an ecotel, so all over the room are small signs giving me tips on how to save the environment. The lights are controlled from a switchboard with pictures of each light in the room. When you press the button, a small tone sounds and the light flicks on. It is nice!
So I got in around 10:30 last night. I got my baggage and stepped outside, expecting an onslaught of beggars because I just read the first chapter of "Holy Cow" where the narrarator describes massive crowds of beggars lurking outside the airport doors. This was quite civilized. Sure, there were about fifty people waiting there, but only to pick up people. There was a gated off area where only people waiting to be picked up can wait. Three policeman (one armed) stand in one corner and two others man the exit of the gated area. No one other than airline passengers (not even the hotel reps) can stand in the gated area. That was very comforting.
So I get into the shuttle for my hotel, which was just someone's car (oh and the steering wheel is on the wrong side), and we enter the four-way roundabout sans stoplights and any sort of order. I realized the horn is everyone's turn signal. I saw my first ever rickshaw on the short, crazy ride to the hotel. Wow, the city is stunning. First of all, there were people everywhere- walking through traffic jams, wheeling carts of fruit along the street, feeding the stray dogs, and loitering, in general. There is a strip of hotels right near the airport and next to the fancy Intercontinental's driveway, there is a small shantytown! The city (what I saw of it)was lit up with bright red Christmas lights. There is a ten-day celebration for Lady Ganesha going on and we are on the third day.
I have never, ever been to a place where no one looks like me. My white skin makes me look different. This is absolutely foreign to me and was my first sign of culture shock when we landed. I am taking yet another flight to Chennai this morning. WHen I land, it is a long drive to where I will be staying. More to come later. Peace and Happy Ganeshafest!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home