My Adventures in the Foreign Lands

Friday, November 10, 2006

Let The Rain Fall!

It is raining outside. It has been raining for the past few weeks and it seems I have yet to get used to the idea of a monsoon season, seeing as I left the house without my umbrella today (it was deceivingly sunny this morning) and came back looking like a street dog.
Blogger was facing difficulties mid-week when I tried to write about the trip to the arcade with the children last Friday. Fortunately, it's up now! There is a brand new mall near the beach with a Chuckie-Cheeze-type arcade/fun center in the foodcourt called Fun City ("Yep! We can handle all the fun!" is their slogan. Enough said.). To inauagurate the place, they brought the thirty-four kids from LIFE to the mall in a big bus and welcomed them in the lobby with nail painting, tatoos, t-shirts, and all the candy they could eat. This may not have been such a smart idea because, mixed with the cake they had later and the ice cream packed into their sac dinners, there were enough stomach aches for me to have given out ALL the Pepto-Bismol I brought (quite a lot- I raided Walgreens). I didn't, partly to teach them a lesson. After their pockets were stuffed full with the candies, they began tucking in their shirts and loading it through the collar. This became difficult to work with in the ball pit. The place was just like an American arcade, sensory overload and cheap prizes. They got free tokens for an hour, a cake break, magic show, goody bags (complete with more candies and cookies), and sac dinners from the most McDonald's-y restaurant in the city. They all got veg burgers, fries, ice cream, and sweetened ice tea. There were media cameras everywhere taking pictures of the kids for a newspaper article I have yet to see. They were in heaven and I was back in the States- it was great.

Last Sunday I spent the day with a friend I met in the Praninc Healing classes. She took me out for North Indian snacks (huge bowls of veggie curry and puffed rice topped with fried noodles) then back to her house for a non-veg feast of every possible type of meat in curry with lots and lots of rice. It was good, but the Mom sat herself right in front of me and would refill my plate after I took a bite of something. That, along with the Dad and sister taking pictures of me nonstop, made me feel like I was in a version of My Big Fat Greek Wedding, substituted with Indian culture and without the wedding. I am actually headed to her house right now, so I will finish the details on this hilarious afternoon when I return.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home