My Adventures in the Foreign Lands

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Frustration!!

URGH! I am totally frustrated right now, which I realize should be a normal feeling because I am somewhere totally new and foreign to me. Nonetheless, I am VERY frustrated. So, Hilda's school didn't really work out. I mean there is no way I can get an in- I just can't seem to get a grip on the teaching methods and the kids don't speak enough English for me to teach them a real lesson. Yesterday, I thought I was going to go to the college with Dr. James (the principal of the college) and observe classes in the English department. He told me if I liked it, I could teach spoken English there/ help students who may be struggling with their conversational English. I am all ready to go (I got up more than an hour early just for this) and as he is leaving, he tells me it is exam week and there will be nothing for me to see because there aren't classes going on right now. Classes will resume on the 21st, maybe. He said some departments will have classes and some won't, but he didn't elaborate. So that isn't an option.
I moved into the other house last night and "slept" (lied on) a metal cot with a sheet over it- no mattress or anything. With every turn it would creak so loud I thought I would wake the whole house. By whole house, I mean the small main room and bedroom. My room is more like a storage closet. Anyway, I knew this wasn't going to be a good experience when I saw it for the first time, so today I bought a bus ticket to Chennai. Ok, I hope I bought a bus ticket. I paid for a slip of paper that the lady wrote stuff on. There was a crowd of seven or eight people around me in this dingy little shop that doubles as a booking agency, I guess. No one spoke good English, so I just hope that there really is a bus at that time and it really does go to Chennai. When I get there (at 5 in the morn) I will stay at the guest house and do some volunteering at the orphanage. I don't know how long this will last, so I am currently looking for another opportunity. Who knows, maybe I will end up in Thailand early...?
Yesterday was my last day at Hilda's. This is how it went: the teacher tells me to teach computers because they have their computer exam today. I am getting insanely frustrated because "teaching computers" really mean repeating a sentence like "processing is creating information and data" or "a compact disc holds data" and they repeat it back to me over and over. I realized they have no idea what a computer actually looks like, so I walked home and brought back the old laptop that I brought with me here. They were in awe, as was the teacher, who got up from sitting in the other room, dozing off, to see the screen. After we named all the parts, I had them type their names (which took sooo long! I didn't realize how hard it would be to find the right keys), and I played some music for them. When I played the song, they got very embarrassed and giggled their heads off. The hour and a half lesson consisted of me getting very frustrated with them because I would ask "what is information?" or "What is a printer?" and silence/ blank stares would follow. I was getting frustrated because they stopped caring about the lesson when they realized they didn't understand a word of it. Then, I would ask other questions and the teacher would tell them the answer in Tamil and they would just say that. This is the same when there is an English lesson- if they don't understand, the teacher gives them the answer in Tamil. It is a very strange situation. I am glad I am trying something new.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home